Visiting Ohio State
We look forward to seeing you at one of our future engineering visits, but to keep our communities safe, the university has canceled all undergraduate admissions in-person visits and on-campus recruitment events for the time being. We continue to assess the situation and will make decisions about future visit opportunities based on recommendations from public health officials, university leadership and the State of Ohio. In the meantime, visit our Will it be you? page for live events and resources created just for prospective students!
The College of Engineering is also excited to connect with you! We'll be able to answer your questions and talk about what it's like to be a Buckeye Engineer as well as opportunities to enhance your engineering experience during our Live Engineering Overview webinars!
Additional YouTube videos highlighting an engineering overview, engineering campus tours and more can be found at https://engineering.osu.edu/undergraduate/explore-college-engineering.
Pre-Major to Major Process
Students interested in pursuing engineering at Ohio State indicate their pre-major of interest on their admissions application. Applicants are reviewed holistically by Ohio State Undergraduate Admissions. The College of Engineering does not review nor have access to applications for incoming first-year students. Learn more about the admissions process: undergrad.osu.edu/apply/freshmen-columbus/who-gets-in.
All students entering Ohio State in the College of Engineering enroll in the Pre-Major Program, enabling students to explore our 14 majors through both their coursework and information sessions.
As pre-majors, students will:
- complete foundational coursework that includes the Fundamental of Engineering course sequence, calculus and, for most majors, physics and/or chemistry.
- engage with faculty, academic advisors and peers to explore options, and learn how several engineering majors can lead to similar career outcomes.
- select and apply to three majors of interest during the semester that eligibility courses are completed, which generally occurs during the second semester of enrollment.
Students will learn more about the application to major process and major opportunities throughout their first year. Pre-major students are also encouraged to explore opportunities outside of the classroom including Student Project Teams, the Engineering Co-op and Internship Program, and other student leadership experiences.
New First-Year Students
Ohio State’s Undergraduate Admissions is the primary resource for the application process and handles direct enrollment for undergraduate students into the College of Engineering. High school seniors applying to the Columbus campus are encouraged to submit their complete admission application by November 15, 2020. Capacity within Engineering fills quickly.
Direct enrollment of New First Year Students (NFYS) to the College of Engineering is competitive and requirements are designed to identify students who are prepared for the rigors of engineering study. Domestic students not eligible to directly enroll in the College of Engineering may enroll in Science, Technology and Environmental Exploration.
Enrollment for transfer students in the College of Engineering is competitive. For students transferring from another institution of higher education:
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described in the previous sections.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours and a GPA at your previous institution of 3.0 or higher, and have completed college level calculus, you will be directly enrolled as a pre-major in the program of your choice. You may not enter as an undeclared pre-major.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours, but do not meet the 3.0 GPA, you will be enrolled in Science, Technology and the Environment Exploration.
The most current university admission information and criteria for transfer students is available at: undergrad.osu.edu/apply/transfer.
International Transfer Students
All international transfer students will be reviewed for direct enrollment in the College of Engineering as a pre-major of the student’s choice based on the criteria listed below. International students may not enter as an engineering undeclared pre-major.
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described above for new first-year students.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours (or the equivalent), then you must have:
- A minimum GPA of a 3.0 or higher from previous institutions, and
- Earned a score of L (Calculus level) on the Math Placement Exam or have completed college level theoretical calculus (business calculus coursework does not qualify).
International transfer students should also visit undergrad.osu.edu/apply/international-transfer.
College of Engineering Undergraduate Recruitment
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
Phone: (614) 247-7697
Please Note: The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reviews all applications for admissions to the College of Engineering. For questions about your admissions application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 292-3980.