You are here

Minors and Honors

University Honors and Scholars Center

The University Honors & Scholars Center is the administrative hub for each college that offers an honors program.  In other words, the University Honors and Scholars Center works closely with the College of Engineering Honors Program, which has its own set of requirements as opposed to, let us say, The College of Arts and Sciences.  Although honors programs vary from college to college, there are common features which include:

  • the ability to take honors courses,
  • the opportunity to live in honors residence halls,
  • the encouragement to pursue original research with faculty,
  • access to the programming and staff of the University Honors & Scholars Center, and
  • University priority scheduling.   

For more information, please visit the University Honors and Scholars web site.

Graduating with Honors in Engineering
The Graduating with Honors in Engineering (GHIE) program provides eligible students access to more advanced levels of study and promotes scholarly development.  The program's objectives challenge creative abilities and foster the interest in advanced education and research.  Successful completion of the College of Engineering Honors Program will make you eligible to graduate with honors in engineering.

For more information about the GHIE program go to:

Mechanical Engineering Honors Program and Graduating with Distinction
If you are two or more semesters away from graduation, have an overall GPA of at least 3.0, and are interested in research in mechanical engineering, you should consider the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Research Program.  You will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member to develop an individual research project reflecting your area of interest.  You will earn 6 credit hours of technical elective credit (ME 4999 or 4999H) and write an undergraduate thesis that will require an oral defense to a faculty committee.  Successful completion of the an undergraduate thesis will make you eligible to graduate with research distinction or honors research distinction, depending on what program you enter.  Past students have found this program to be one of the most exciting and rewarding parts of their education.  Scholarships can be awarded for your research through the College of Engineering.

Please note:  You do not have to be a designated Honors student in order to be eligible for the ME Undergraduate Research Program; however, many ME students participate in both programs.  If you are participating in the GHIE program, research completed through the ME Honors program will be applied to the Investigational Studies Component (Section B on the GHIE points grid) category of the GHIE application.

For more information, please visit the ME Honors and Research page and contact the ME Honors Faculty coordinator, Prof. Rob Siston at

Latin Honors
Latin Honors are awarded based on students’ cumulative point-hour ratio at the university. Additionally, in order to be eligible for these honors, a student must also have 60 graded credit hours of Ohio State courses. The CPHR requirements to graduate with Latin honors are as follows:

  1. Cum Laude (3.5-3.69)
  2. Magna Cum Laude (3.70-3.89)
  3. Summa Cum Laude (3.90)

Combined Degree Program
If you have maintained a 3.5 grade-point average or better in all previous undergraduate coursework, you may apply to the Combined Degree Program. It's an efficient way to earn a Master's or Doctoral degree in either Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering or Nuclear Engineering. For complete details, see the Combined Degree page.