- Undergraduate Advising
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering Program
- Mechanical Engineering Program
- Application to ME Major
- Curriculum/"Bingo" Sheets
- Required Courses and Prerequisites
- Academic Performance
- ME Senior Capstone Sequence Options
- Program Objectives and Student Outcomes
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Positions
- Technical Electives
- Transfer Credit
- Minors and Honors
- Forms and Handbooks
- Recognition, Honors, and Awards
You are here
Technical Elective Program for Transition Students
Mechanical Engineering Technical Elective Requirements for Transition Students
Transition students are students who enrolled at OSU prior to Summer 2012
Required Technical Elective Semester Credit Hours:
This is determined in your departmentally reviewed TAP worksheet under the heading "Tech Electives Semester Hours to Complete". That number will most likely be a decimal and we will round all decimals down to the nearest integer (e.g. both 5.7 and 5.4 will round to 5). If you have not completed a TAP, see an MAE Advisor in N250 as soon as possible.
1. You may take any 5000 level Mechanical Engineering (MECHENG), Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineeing (AEROENG) or Nuclear Engineering (NUCLREN) courses to fulfill your requirement. [NUCLREN 4505 is also included]. This includes all 5194, 6194 and 7194 courses. 6000 level courses may also be taken, but will require a petition.
2. You may take up to 1 course outside the MAE Department from the following list*
- Chemistry 2310 and above (this cannot include a course already counted for the Additional Science Requirement)
- Engineering other than ME;
- BME 4X10, FABE 3481, 3510, 3610 and 3810
- All courses 5000 level and above (excluding FABE 7220)
- Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology 2520
- Neuroscience 3000
- Mathematics: 4000 level and above
- Physics: 3470, 4700 and 5000 level and above
- Physiology and Cell Biology 3101,3102
- Statistics 4201 and above
- All Individual or Group Studies Courses: X193 (4193 and up) (ME or non-ME) are subject to approval by petition to the Undergraduate Studies Committee. No more than 4 credit hours may be applied.
*This includes both quarter and semester courses outside of MAE, with quarter hours converted to semester hours.
The MAE Department maintains Course Catalogs and Schedules of Classes for MECHENG, AEROENG and NUCLREN courses on our website (http://mae.osu.edu/courses). The Class Schedules provide course offerings term by term for the AU 2012 through SP 2014 Semesters. They will be updated so that they always go out 4 terms from the current term. This list is provided because the University SIS Course Catalog does not contain this information and the University Class Schedule does not go that far out. In order to plan for Technical Electives you will need to know this information. These lists also include all the 7000 level Course Coordinators (see below), and on the MECHENG list the discipline area within ME is also designated.
Course listings for the entire university are available on the SIS system in two places.
1. The Course Catalog (Course Bulletin) on Buckeye Link (a full listing of all courses without any scheduling information)
2. The Schedule of Classes (Master Schedule) on Buckeye Link. (includes only courses offered in the particular term being searched)
At either of those sites if you specify "Undergraduate" as the Course Career, you will see courses through the 5000 level. If you specify "Graduate" as the Course Career, you will see the 5000 and up courses. Entries in the SIS Course Catalog for MAE courses are the same as in the Department Course Catalog, but in some cases both listings are currently incorrect due to some changes that have not yet made it on these lists. If you have questions about any prerequisites please ask an MAE Advisor in N250.