Standards of Academic Performance
The following conditions must be met to be considered in good academic standing in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering:
- A term point-hour ratio of 2.0 or above in all courses taken at The Ohio State University (TPHR)
- A cumulative point-hour ratio of 2.0 or above in all courses taken at The Ohio State University (CPHR)
- A point-hour ratio of 2.0 or above in all major courses taken at The Ohio State University (MPHR)
- Mechanical Engineering MPHR courses: all Mechanical Engineering courses, excluding ME 2010.
- Aerospace Engineering MPHR courses: all Aerospace Engineering courses, excluding AAE 2200.
- If a major course is repeated, the highest grade will be used to calculate the MPHR.
The University has established two forms of academic sanctions for students not performing to minimum academic standards or who are not making progress toward their degree.
- Any student who has accumulated fifteen or more deficiency points shall be placed on academic probation (see University Rule 3335-9-25A). If the student’s college or school considers a student’s progress as unsatisfactory in meeting the conditions placed on his or her probation, the college or school shall be empowered to dismiss him or her from the University (see University Rule 3335-9-26).
Probation by Special Action
- If at any time the preparation, progress or success of a student in his or her academic program is determined to be unsatisfactory, the college or school in which the student is registered shall be empowered to place him or her on academic probation (see University Rule 3335-9-25B). A student on special action probation is subject to dismissal from the department if he or she fails to meet the conditions placed on his or her probation.