Bioengineering research is focused on understanding biologically relevant processes at the molecular and cellular level with application in fundamentals of cancer metastasis, medical detection and imaging of disease states, accelerated healing of chronic wounds, biomechanics, and treatment of movement disorders and development of biomaterials.
Research topics under this area include:
- Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Scale Analysis (Bhushan, Castro, Cho, Dupaix, Menq, Prakash, Song, Subramaniam) encompasses fundamental studies of the biophysical, biomechanical, biochemical and bioelectrical properties and function of relevant macromolecules, cells and tissues and development of new technologies for probing them.
- Fundamental Analysis of Motion and Biomechanics (Dupaix, Siston, M. Srinivasan) focuses on the treatment of human movement disorders including osteoarthritis, developing novel surgical instrumentation and designing custom assistive and rehabilitative devices, understanding movement of humans, animals and machines, mechanical behavior of polymers and composites used in implants, biological tissue engineering and injury biomechanics, among other applications.
- Biomaterials (Hoelzle, Katsube, Sundaresan) includes the study of the mechanics of materials with emphasis on theoretical and numerical simulations of advanced material behavior, advanced composite materials, development of models to predict relative survival rates of all-ceramic dental restorations subjected to cyclic mastication load in an oral environment, minimally invasive surgical tools, scanning electrochemical microscopy and sustainable conversion of greenhouse gases including biomolecular materials.
Labs and Centers
- Applied Physics Laboratory
- Integrated Material Systems Laboratory
- Microsystems and Nanosystems Laboratory
- Microsystems for Mechanobiology and Medicine
- Movement Laboratory
- Nanoengineering and Biodesign Laboratory
- Nanoprobe Laboratory for Bio- and Nanotechnology and Biomimetics
- Neuromuscular Biomechanics Laboratory
- Polymer and Soft Tissue Biomechanics Laboratory
- Precision Measurement and Control Laboratory
- ME 5144: Engineering Fracture Mechanics
- ME 5180: Mechanics of Biomolecular Systems
- ME 6505: Intermediate Fluid Dynamics
- ME 6515: Introduction to Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
- ME 6700: Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
- ME 7100: Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
- ME 7163: Advanced Strength of Materials and Elasticity Theory
- ME 7230: Advanced Dynamics.
- ME 7385: Advanced Methods in the Dynamics and Control of Human and Animal Movement
- ME 7701: Experimental Methods in Movement Biomechanics
- ME 7752: Mechanics and Control of Robots
- ME 8702: Neuromuscular Biomechanics