- Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Aerospace Engr
201 W 19th Ave
E328 Scott Lab
Columbus, OH 43210
Research interests include:
- Utilize engineering approaches combined with nanotechnology and biophysics experimental tools
- Characterize and model the physical properties and behaviors of complex biological systems
- Goal to establish an array of functional DNA nanotechnology-based tools
- Goal to reverse engineer the design of biological systems that exhibit remarkable mechanical properties
National Science Foundation Career Award. National Science Foundation.
Michael J Moran Award for Teaching Excellence. Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Pi Tau Sigma Above and Beyond Award. Pi Tau Sigma (Mechanical Engineering Student Honorary).
Alexander von Humboldt Post-doctoral Fellow. Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
Outstanding research award. MIT, Program in Polymer Science and Technology (PPST).
Presidential Fellowship. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering.
- Marras, AE*, Zhou, L, Kolliopoulos, V***, Su, H-J, Castro, CE, 2016, Directing folding pathways for multi-component DNA origami nanostructures with complex topology. New Journal of Physics 18, 055005 -
- Halley, P, Lucas, CR, McWilliams, EM, Webber, MJ, Kural, C, Lucas, DM, Byrd, JC, Castro, CE, 2016, "Daunorubicin-Loaded DNA Origami Nanostructures Circumvent Drug-Resistance Mechanisms in a Leukemia Model." Small 12, no. 3, 308 - 320.
- Zhou L*, Marras, AE*, Castro, CE, Su, H, 2016, Pseudo-rigid-body models of compliant dna origami mechanisms. ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Special Issue: IDETC 2015 8, no. 5, 051013 -
- Le, J.V., Luo, Y., Darcy, M., Lucas, C.R., Goodwin, M., Poirier, M.G., Castro, C.E., 2016, Probing nucleosome stability with a DNA origami nanocalipers. ACS Nano 10, no. 7, 7073 - 7084.
- Kearney, CJ, Lucas, CR**, O'Brien FJ, Castro, CE, 2016, DNA origami: Folded DNA nanodevices that can direct and interpret cell behavior. Advanced Materials 28, no. 27, 5509 -
- Castro, CE, Su, HJ, Marras, AE*, Zhou, L*, Johnson, J*, 2015, Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructurs. Nanoscale 7, 5913 -
- L Zhou*, AE Marras*, HJ Su, CE Castro, 2015, Direct design of an energy landscape with bi-stable DNA origami structures. Nano Letters 15, no. 3, 1815 -
- Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Su, HJ, Castro, CE, 2015, Programmable motion of DNA origami mechanisms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 3, 713 - 718.
- Gupta,C; Liao,W-C; Gallego-Perez,D; Castro,C,E; Lee,L,J, 2014, "DNA translocation through short nanofluidic channels under asymmetric pulsed electric field." Biomicrofluidics 8, no. 2, 024114 -
- Zhou,Lifeng; Marras,Alexander,E; Su,Hai-Jun; Castro,Carlos,E, 2014, "DNA Origami Compliant Nanostructures with Tunable Mechanical Properties." ACS Nano 8, no. 1, 27 - 34.
- JM Tam, CE Castro, RJW Heath, MK Mansour, ML Cardenas, RJ Xavier, MJ Lang, JM Vyas, 2011, "Use of an optical trap for study of host-pathogen interactions for dynamic live cell imaging." Journal of Visualized Experiments 53, pii: 3123 -
- Castro, C.E., Dong, J., Lindquist, S., Boyce, M.C., Lang, M.J., 2011, "Physical Properties of Polymorphic Prion Proteins." Biophysical Journal 101, no. 2, 439 - 448.
- Jungmann, R., Scheible, M., Kuzyk, A., Pardatscher, G., Castro, C.E., and Simmel F.C., 2011, "DNA origami-based nanoribbons: assembly, length distribution, and twist." Nanotechnology 22, no. 27, 275301 -
- Tam, J., Castro, C.E., Heatsh, R.J., Cardenas, M.J., Xavier, R., Lang, M.J., Vyas, J.M., 2010, "Control and Manipulation of Pathogens with an Optical Trap for Live Cell Imaging of Intercellular Interactions." PLoS One 5, no. 12, e15215 -
- Dong, J., Castro, C.E., Boyce, M.C., Lang, M.J., and Lindquist, S., 2010, "Optical trapping with high forces reveals unexpected behaviors of prion fibrils." Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 17, no. 12, 1422 - U49.
- Kim, S.T., Takeuchi, K., Zhen-Yu, J.S., Touma, M., Castro, C.E., Fahmy, A., Vibhuti, D., Kappes, D., Lang, M.J., Wagner, G., Reinherz, E., 2009, "The alpha betaT cell receptor is an anisotropic mechanosensor." Journal of Biological Chemistry 284, no. 45, 31028 - 31037.
- Villareal Marroquin, M.G., Sanchez Pena, M.L., Castro, C.E., Castro, J.M., Cabrera Rios, M., 2008, Use of data envelopment analysis and clustering in multiple criteria optimization. Intelligent Data Analysis 12, no. 1, 89 - 101.
- Castro, C.E., Cabrera Rios, M., Lilly, B., Castro, J.M., 2005, Simultaneous Optimization of Mold Design and Processing Conditions in Injection Molding. Journal of Polymer Engineering 25, no. 6, 459 - 486.
- Castro, C.E., Cabrera Rios, M., Lilly, B., Castro, J.M., Mount-Campbell, C.A., 2003, Identifying the best compromises between multiple performance measures in injection molding using data envelopment analysis. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science 7, no. 1, 77 - 86.
- "Engaging undergraduates in Designing and Building Biomolecular Systems." 2014, Presented at Physics Research & Education Gordon Conference, US|USA
- "Modifying DNA origami structure and function using single-stranded DNA." 2014, Presented at Foundations of Nanotechnology, Snowbird, US|USA
- "Mechanically Functional DNA origami Nanostructures." 2014, Presented at World Congress of Biomechanics, Boston, US|USA
- "Designing Mechanical Dynamics of DNA origami Nanostructures." 2014, Presented at American Chemical Society Midwest Regional Meeting, Pittsburgh, US|USA
- "DNA origami tools for chromatin for the study of chromatin structure and dynamics." 2015, Presented at ASME Nanoengineering for Medicine and Biology 2015, Minneapolis, MN, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based probes and sensors." 2015, Presented at Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering Research Seminar, Boston, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA Nanostructures for Physical Measurements." 2015, Presented at Society of Engineering Science Annual Meeting, College Station, US|USA
- "Self-assembly of DNA nanomechanical devices." 2016, Presented at University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Mechanical Engineering Seminar, Urbana Champaign, US|USA
- "Engineering DNA origami motion and structural dynamics." 2016, Presented at 10 years of DNA origami symposium, Pasadena, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructures and measurement devices." 2015, Presented at Massachusetts Institute of Technology Mechanical Engineering Department Colloquium, Boston, US|USA
- "DNA-based nanomechanical devices." 2015, Presented at University of Texas, Austin NASCENT center seminar series, Austin, US|USA
- "Programming dynamics of DNA origami." 2016, Presented at The Molecular Programming Project Annual Workshop, Seattle, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructures and measurement devices." 2015, Presented at University of California San Diego Nanoengineering Department Seminar, San Diego, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based sensors, tools, and delivery vehicles." 2015, Presented at Nationwide Children's Hospital Child Health Research Center Seminar, Columbus, US|USA
- "Self-assembly of DNA nanodevices." 2015, Presented at National Academy of Science Arab-American Frontiers of Engineering, Jeddah, SA|SAU
- "Engineering DNA origami motion and structural dynamics." 2016, Presented at Spiez CONVERGENCE, Spiez, CH|CHE
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based measurement devices." 2016, Presented at Princeton University Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series, Princeton, US|USA
- "DNA nanomechanical devices for molecular and cellular applications." 2016, Presented at Kavli Frontiers of Science Symposium, Irvine, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA Nanostructures and Devices." 2016, Presented at Air Force Research Laboratory Soft Matter Seminar, Dayton, US|USA
Papers in Proceedings
- Zhou, L, Marras, AE, Castro, CE, Su, H-J "Pseudo-Rigid-Body Models of Compliant DNA Origami Mechanisms." JOURNAL: "ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference." in ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference. (8 2015). V05BT08A041 -
- Qirui Fan, Gauri Nabar, Carl Miller, Carlos Castro, Jessica Winter "Photo-switchable quantum dots based on reversible FRET." in SPIE Photonics West. Bellingham, (2 2014). 89540D -
- V Nguyen, B Lilly, CE Castro Reverse engineering the structure and function of the Allegheny mount and neck (insecta, hymenoptera, formica, exsectoides). in ASME IMECE. New York, http://proceedings.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1750436, (1 2013). IMECE2012 - 87567.
- HJ Su, Carlos E Castro, Alex E Marras, Michael Hudoba "Design and fabrication of DNA origami mechanisms and machines." in ASME International conference on reconfigurable mechanisms and robots. New York, (9 2012). 487 - 500.
- Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Su, HJ, Castro, CE "Design of DNA Origami Machines and Mechanisms." JOURNAL: "ASME Proceedings - Micro- and Nano-Systems Engineering and Packaging." in ASME IMECE. (11 2012). 301 - 309.