- Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Aerospace Engr
201 W 19th Ave
E328 Scott Lab
Columbus, OH 43210
Research interests include:
- Utilize engineering approaches combined with nanotechnology and biophysics experimental tools
- Characterize and model the physical properties and behaviors of complex biological systems
- Goal to establish an array of functional DNA nanotechnology-based tools
- Goal to reverse engineer the design of biological systems that exhibit remarkable mechanical properties
National Science Foundation Career Award. National Science Foundation.
Michael J Moran Award for Teaching Excellence. Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Pi Tau Sigma Above and Beyond Award. Pi Tau Sigma (Mechanical Engineering Student Honorary).
Alexander von Humboldt Post-doctoral Fellow. Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
Outstanding research award. MIT, Program in Polymer Science and Technology (PPST).
Presidential Fellowship. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering.
- Halley, P, Lucas, CR, McWilliams, EM, Webber, MJ, Kural, C, Lucas, DM, Byrd, JC, Castro, CE, 2016, "Daunorubicin-Loaded DNA Origami Nanostructures Circumvent Drug-Resistance Mechanisms in a Leukemia Model." Small 12, no. 3, 308 - 320.
- Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Su, HJ, Castro, CE, 2015, Programmable motion of DNA origami mechanisms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 3, 713 - 718.
- Zhou,Lifeng; Marras,Alexander,E; Su,Hai-Jun; Castro,Carlos,E, 2014, "DNA Origami Compliant Nanostructures with Tunable Mechanical Properties." ACS Nano 8, no. 1, 27 - 34.
- Gupta,C; Liao,W-C; Gallego-Perez,D; Castro,C,E; Lee,L,J, 2014, "DNA translocation through short nanofluidic channels under asymmetric pulsed electric field." Biomicrofluidics 8, no. 2, 024114 -
- Jungmann, R., Scheible, M., Kuzyk, A., Pardatscher, G., Castro, C.E., and Simmel F.C., 2011, "DNA origami-based nanoribbons: assembly, length distribution, and twist." Nanotechnology 22, no. 27, 275301 -
- Castro, C.E., Dong, J., Lindquist, S., Boyce, M.C., Lang, M.J., 2011, "Physical Properties of Polymorphic Prion Proteins." Biophysical Journal 101, no. 2, 439 - 448.
- Dong, J., Castro, C.E., Boyce, M.C., Lang, M.J., and Lindquist, S., 2010, "Optical trapping with high forces reveals unexpected behaviors of prion fibrils." Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 17, no. 12, 1422 - U49.
- Tam, J., Castro, C.E., Heatsh, R.J., Cardenas, M.J., Xavier, R., Lang, M.J., Vyas, J.M., 2010, "Control and Manipulation of Pathogens with an Optical Trap for Live Cell Imaging of Intercellular Interactions." PLoS One 5, no. 12, e15215 -
- Kim, S.T., Takeuchi, K., Zhen-Yu, J.S., Touma, M., Castro, C.E., Fahmy, A., Vibhuti, D., Kappes, D., Lang, M.J., Wagner, G., Reinherz, E., 2009, "The alpha betaT cell receptor is an anisotropic mechanosensor." Journal of Biological Chemistry 284, no. 45, 31028 - 31037.
- Zhou L, Marras, AE, Castro, CE, Su, H, Pseudo-rigid-body models of compliant dna origami mechanisms. ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Special Issue: IDETC 2015
- Kearney, CJ, Lucas, CR, O'Brien FJ, Castro, CE, DNA origami: Folded DNA nanodevices that can direct and interpret cell behavior. Advanced Materials
- Castro, CE, Su, HJ, Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Johnson, J, Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructurs. Nanoscale
- L Zhou, AE Marras, HJ Su, CE Castro, Direct design of an energy landscape with bi-stable DNA origami structures. Nano Letters
- Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Kolliopoulos, V, Su, H-J, Castro, CE, "Directing folding pathways for multi-component DNA origami nanostructures with complex topology." New Journal of Physics
- "Engaging undergraduates in Designing and Building Biomolecular Systems." 2014, Presented at Physics Research & Education Gordon Conference, US|USA
- "Modifying DNA origami structure and function using single-stranded DNA." 2014, Presented at Foundations of Nanotechnology, Snowbird, US|USA
- "Mechanically Functional DNA origami Nanostructures." 2014, Presented at World Congress of Biomechanics, Boston, US|USA
- "Designing Mechanical Dynamics of DNA origami Nanostructures." 2014, Presented at American Chemical Society Midwest Regional Meeting, Pittsburgh, US|USA
- "DNA origami tools for chromatin for the study of chromatin structure and dynamics." 2015, Presented at ASME Nanoengineering for Medicine and Biology 2015, Minneapolis, MN, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based probes and sensors." 2015, Presented at Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering Research Seminar, Boston, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA Nanostructures for Physical Measurements." 2015, Presented at Society of Engineering Science Annual Meeting, College Station, US|USA
- "Self-assembly of DNA nanomechanical devices." 2016, Presented at University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Mechanical Engineering Seminar, Urbana Champaign, US|USA
- "Engineering DNA origami motion and structural dynamics." 2016, Presented at 10 years of DNA origami symposium, Pasadena, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructures and measurement devices." 2015, Presented at Massachusetts Institute of Technology Mechanical Engineering Department Colloquium, Boston, US|USA
- "DNA-based nanomechanical devices." 2015, Presented at University of Texas, Austin NASCENT center seminar series, Austin, US|USA
- "Programming dynamics of DNA origami." 2016, Presented at The Molecular Programming Project Annual Workshop, Seattle, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA nanostructures and measurement devices." 2015, Presented at University of California San Diego Nanoengineering Department Seminar, San Diego, US|USA
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based sensors, tools, and delivery vehicles." 2015, Presented at Nationwide Children's Hospital Child Health Research Center Seminar, Columbus, US|USA
- "Self-assembly of DNA nanodevices." 2015, Presented at National Academy of Science Arab-American Frontiers of Engineering, Jeddah, SA|SAU
- "Engineering DNA origami motion and structural dynamics." 2016, Presented at Spiez CONVERGENCE, Spiez, CH|CHE
- "Mechanical Design of DNA-based measurement devices." 2016, Presented at Princeton University Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series, Princeton, US|USA
- "DNA nanomechanical devices for molecular and cellular applications." 2016, Presented at Kavli Frontiers of Science Symposium, Irvine, US|USA
Papers in Proceedings
- Zhou, L, Marras, AE, Castro, CE, Su, H-J "Pseudo-Rigid-Body Models of Compliant DNA Origami Mechanisms." JOURNAL: "ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference." in ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference. (8 2015). V05BT08A041 -
- Qirui Fan, Gauri Nabar, Carl Miller, Carlos Castro, Jessica Winter "Photo-switchable quantum dots based on reversible FRET." in SPIE Photonics West. Bellingham, (2 2014). 89540D -
- V Nguyen, B Lilly, CE Castro Reverse engineering the structure and function of the Allegheny mount and neck (insecta, hymenoptera, formica, exsectoides). in ASME IMECE. New York, http://proceedings.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1750436, (1 2013). IMECE2012 - 87567.
- HJ Su, Carlos E Castro, Alex E Marras, Michael Hudoba "Design and fabrication of DNA origami mechanisms and machines." in ASME International conference on reconfigurable mechanisms and robots. New York, (9 2012). 487 - 500.
- Marras, AE, Zhou, L, Su, HJ, Castro, CE "Design of DNA Origami Machines and Mechanisms." JOURNAL: "ASME Proceedings - Micro- and Nano-Systems Engineering and Packaging." in ASME IMECE. (11 2012). 301 - 309.