You are here
- Home >
- People >
- Stephen Bechtel
- Faculty Emeritus, Mechanical & Aerospace Engr
201 W 19th Ave
N350 Scott Lab
Columbus, OH 43210
Research interests include:
- Coupled, nonlinear, multiscale/multiphysics modeling and characterization of advanced materials, including polymer/nanoparticle composites, magnetorheological fluids, ferroic solids, and piezoelectric crystals
- Creation, benchmarking, and validation of computer codes that couple processing of advanced materials to the development of nanoscale structure and the resulting performance properties
- Modeling of industrial polymer processing and fiber manufacturing
- Shear and extensional characterization of polymer melts and solutions
- Measurement of dynamic surface tension
- Free surface flows and instability mechanisms
- Modeling of belt/pulley systems
Lumley Research Award.
Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award.
Lumley Research Award.
Best Proposal Award.
Henry Hess Award.
- 2007. "Shear Rheology of Nanofiber Suspensions and Nanofiber/Polymer Melt Composites." In Processing and Properties of Nanocomposites, edited by S.G. Advani,
- K. Miyazono, C.D. Kagarise, K.W. Koelling, M. Mahboob, S.E. Bechtel, 2011, "Shear and extensional rheology and flow-induced orientation of carbon nanofiber/polystyrene melt composites." Journal of Applied Polymer Science 119, no. 4, 1940-1951 - 1940-1951.
- C. Kagarise, J. Xu, Y. Wang, M. Mahboob, K. Koelling, S.E. Bechtel, 2010, "Transient Shear Rheology of Carbon Nanofiber/Polystyrene Melt Composites." Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 165, no. 3-4, 98-109 - 98-109.
- F. Ahmadkhanlou, M. Mahboob, S.E. Bechtel, G. N. Washington, 2010, "An Improved Model for Magnetorheological Fluid-Based Actuators and Sensors." Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 21, no. 1, 3-18 - 3-18.
- M. Mahboob, C. Kagarise, K. Koelling, S.E. Bechtel, 2010, "Quantitative 3D Measurement of the Nanostructural Features that Dictate Mesoscale Performance Properties of Nanocomposites." Polymer Composites 31, no. 9, 1495-1503 - 1495-1503.
- F. Ahmadkhanlou, M. Mahboob, S.E. Bechtel, G.N. Washington, 2008, "Experiments and Models of the Magneto Rheological Behavior of High Weight Percent Suspensions of Carbonyl Iron Particles in Silicone Oil." Journal of Fluids Engineering 130, no. 12,
- C. Kagarise, K. Koelling, Y. Wang, S.E. Bechtel, 2008, "A Unified Model for Polystyrene-Nanorod and Polystyrene-Nanoplatelet Melt Composites." Rheologica Acta 47, no. 9, 1061-1076 - 1061-1076.
- Y. Wang, J. Xu, S.E. Bechtel, K.W. Koelling, 2006, "Melt Shear Rheology of Carbon Nanofiber/ Polystyrene Composites." Rheologica Acta 45, no. 6, 919-941 - 919-941.
- J. Xu, S. Chatterjee, K.W. Koelling, Y. Wang, S.E. Bechtel, 2005, "Shear and Extensional Rheology of Carbon Nanofiber Suspensions." Rheologica Acta 44, no. 6, 537-562 - 537-562.
- F.J. Rooney, S.E. Bechtel, 2004, "Constraints, Constitutive Limits, and Instability in Finite Thermoelasticity." Journal of Elasticity 47, no. 2, 109-133 - 109-133.
- S.E. Bechtel, K.W. Koelling, W. Nguyen, G. Tan, 2002, "A New Technique for the Measurement of the Dynamic Evolution of Surface Tension." Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 245, no. 1, 142-162 - 142-162.
- S.E. Bechtel, N.T. Youssef, M.G. Forest, H. Zhou, K.W. Koelling, 2001, "Non-Newtonian Viscous Oscillating Free Surface Jets, and a New Strain-Rate Dependent Viscosity Form for Flows Experiencing Low Strain Rates." Rheologica Acta 40, no. 4, 373-383 - 373-383.
- V.V. Ramanan, S.E. Bechtel, V. Gauri, K.W. Koelling, M.G. Forest, 1997, "Exploiting Accurate Spinline Measurements for Elongational Material Characterization." Journal of Rheology 41, no. 2, 283-306 - 283-306.
- S.E. Bechtel, M.G. Forest, K.J. Lin, 1992, "Closure to All Orders in 1-D Models for Slender Viscoelastic Free Jets: An Integrated Theory for Axisymmetric, Torsionless Flows." Stability and Applied Analysis of Continuous Media 2, 59-100 - 59-100.