You are here


If you are planning on graduating with a Master's or Doctoral degree in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Nuclear Engineering you must do the following:

  1. You must be in good academic standing with a graduate cumulative point hour ratio of at least 3.0.

  2. Enroll for at least three graduate credit hours during the quarter in which graduation in expected.

    • Note: GA's and Fellows must still register for the minimum number of hours required to maintain their appointment.

  3. Submit an Application to Graduate via no later than the first Friday of the semester in which graduation is expected.

    • Note: When submitting your Application to Graduate DO NOT check the box that says "End of Semester option". You can switch to that option if needed later in the semester.

  4. Submit your graduation checkout information via the MAE Graduate Student Milestone Notification form no later than the first Friday of the semester in which graduation is expected.

  5. Attend the Graduation workshop

  6. MS-Thesis and PhD Students must submit their Defense information via the Graduate Student Milestone Notification at least two weeks before your oral defense.

  7. Complete the mandatory MAE Exit Survey. The survey will be emailed to you after your Application to Graduate has been processed by the MAE Graduate Advising Office.

  8. Attend the MAE Exit Meeting

  9. Return ALL keys (lab, building, etc.) to April Homolak in N350 Scott Lab BEFORE you leave campus.

Students planning on graduating should plan attend the MAE graduation workshop at least once, either in the semester they are planning to graduate or the semester before. Graduation workshops are held the first Friday of the semester and details will be sent to all currently enrolled students at the start of the semester about the date, time, and location of the workshop.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind the semester you graduate:

  • Check the Graduate School Graduation Calendar for the deadlines by which you must defend and present your thesis/dissertation in order to graduate in the current semester.

  • When you are writing your Dissertation or Thesis, make sure to refer to the Graduate School's guidelines for those documents. Those guidelines can be found at

  • Remind your instructors that you are graduating, even if you are only registered for research hours! Final grades for all previous and current courses are due by noon on the Friday of Finals week. 

  • If you are using a locker, please remember to clean it out BEFORE you leave campus. After verifying that you have graduated anything remaining in your locker will be thrown away at the start of the next term.