- Graduate Advising
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Financial Support
- Forms and Handbooks
- Upcoming Dissertation Defenses
- Student Lecture Series
- Recognition, Honors and Awards
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find the requirements for my program of interest?
- Can I be admitted conditionally?
- I'm getting ready to submit my application online. Can the application fee be waived?
- How do I check the status of my application?
- Where can I find information about the cost to attend Ohio State?
- What types of financial aid are available?
- How do I apply for financial aid consideration?
- I already have funding. How should I indicate that on my application?
- What are my chances for being admitted?
- I've already submitted my application, but one of my recommenders hasn't submitted their recommendation or didn't receive the request to submit their recommendation. What can I do?
- What type of information should be included in my letters of reference?
- Can I send copies of my GRE and/or TOEFL score reports so you can review my application?
- What is the institution and/or major codes for the submission of GRE and/or TOEFL scores?
- What is your TOEFL/English Language test requirement?
- My entire education was in English. Must I take the TOEFL test?
- I have been in the Nuclear Navy. Can I transfer my credit to Ohio State?
- I see that Chinese students are encouraged to send required academic documents to Ohio State from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). Are we required to send those documents?
- Are transcripts that are evaluated by World Education Services (WES) required?
Program requirements for all three graduate programs can be found by clicking the appropriate link below:
No. We do not consider any students for admission unless they have completed all of the application requirements.
Neither the University nor the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering will waive the application fee. Highly qualified U.S. Citizens who have participated in the Summer Research Opportunities Program or a similar program may qualify for a fee waiver and can submit a request for consideration through the CIC FreeApp.
The status of your application can be viewed online at http://appstatus.osu.edu.
After submitting an application, first time applicants are sent an email from The Ohio State University’s Information Technology(IT) Service Desk, assigning an OSU ID and Internet Username(lastname.#).
Important: Applicants who have or had an affiliation with Ohio State do not receive the above-mentioned email since they already have an OSU ID and Internet Username. The Username is used to access the self-service page. When the Username and password are not active, it can be activated at: http://my.osu.edu. Or, if the OSU ID, username, or password are forgotten, assistance is also available at http://my.osu.edu.
New applicants with no prior or current affiliation with Ohio State who know their OSU ID and Username must activate their Username and create a password by requesting an activation code at: http://my.osu.edu . If you do not remember your ID, Username, or password, help is available at http://my.osu.edu. For assistance with the activation code request process, please visit 8help.osu.edu; or, contact the IT Service Desk by e-mail at or calling (614) 688-HELP (4357).
For those applicants who do know their current password, passwords may be changed or reset by following the instructions at: http://my.osu.edu, or by contacting the IT Service Desk.
A breakdown of the various tuition and fee costs per credit hour for one semester is available at http://go.osu.edu/feetables. An estimated budget for Graduate study is available at http://go.osu.edu/gradbudget. On the page, click on the dropdown box and select "Graduate Students" for a display of the estimated expenses to pursue graduate studies at Ohio State for two semesters.
All students who have been recommended for admission to our department are automatically eligible for financial aid consideration. Students who complete an application by November 30th are eligible for Fellowship, GTA, and GRA consideration. Students who complete their application after that date will be eligible for GTA and GRA consideration and general admission (without support). There are no additional forms that need to be submitted for financial aid consideration.
One of the questions in the application is whether or not you are a supported student. If you have funding through your employer, government, or some other means, mark "yes" on the application and when prompted and then list who is supporting you (ex. Fulbright, GE Aviation, Turkish Government, etc.).
Due to the large number of such requests, we do not make any evaluations of an applicant’s chances of admission. Our admission criteria and average GPA and test scores are available here if you would like to get an idea where you might stand. Please note that GPA and test scores are only one component of the review process and decisions are based on the entire contents of the application.
- Non-Ohio State students, must activate their Ohio State Username, (sent to you after you applied) at my.osu.edu
- Log into your Application References Summary using your Ohio State username and password at go.osu.edu/LOR.
Edit recommender information
- Click the green "Edit" button to the right of the reference you wish to edit. Edit any incorrect information.
- Copy the recommender's contact email address and paste into Confirm email address Click the green Re-send Email button at the bottom right to re-send the invitation email requesting a letter of recommendation.
- To resend the invitation log into your Application references summary at go.osu.edu/LOR and click the green Resend Email button to the right of the recommender you wish to remind.
Add a recommender
- Log into your Application References Summary at go.osu.edu/LOR using your Ohio State username and password.
- Click the Add a Reference to an Application button.
- Read the Application References - Instructions and click ACCEPT. Click DECLINE only if your program requires paper references.
- Enter recommender name, organization phone, mailing address and email address on the Application References - Details page.
- Select the application and term for which the recommender will direct their letter, and indicate whether or not you wish to Waive Access to view recommendation letters after they are submitted.
- Check to make sure information is correct and click Save.
If an individual asks you this, you can suggest things like how you've done in a class, any extracurricular activities they know you've been involved in, how they think you'll be suited for graduate study etc. Submit a résumé to your recommender as that will often times help give them a little more background when writing your letter.
No. We require that all test scores must be issued to Ohio State directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) or the organization offering the test if you are taking one of the other English language tests.
The institution code for Ohio State is 1592. As long as you list Ohio State's institution code, your scores will be reported to Ohio State. All scores are reported to a central database at Ohio State.
A minimum score of 79 on the Internet-based (IBT) TOEFL is required in order to be considered for admission. An 82 is the minimum score allowed on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), or 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also acceptable.
At least one of the following scores is preferred if English is not your native language : 96 on the Internet-based (IBT) TOEFL, 7.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an 82 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB).
If you do not meet the minimum TOEFL score you application will not be reviewed until one of the following is met:
- You reach or surpass the minimum required score.
- The deadline of the term for which you originally applied passes at which point your application would be canceled.
You are exempt from taking an English proficiency test, such as, TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS, if you have established citizenship in one of the following countries: Australia, Belize, British Caribbean, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), England, Guyana, Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, Scotland, Wales, and The United States. US Green Card holders are exempt from taking an English proficiency test if they have held the Green Card at least one year prior to their semester of enrollment.
If you are eligible to receive a 4 year bachelor’s degree or higher from one of the countries listed above, then you are exempt from taking an English proficiency test. Please note: It is not required that you must have your degree completed from one of the exempt countries at the time you are applying for admission. However, you must have completed your degree prior to your semester of enrollment.
If your country is not listed as any of the exempt counties, you must take one of the aforementioned English proficiency tests.
Credit for Navy courses does not typically transfer to Ohio State. However, we have found that students in the Nuclear Navy are usually very disciplined, motivated, and are quite successful in our engineering programs.
17. I see that Chinese students are encouraged to send required academic documents to Ohio State from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). Are we required to send those documents?
Ohio State does encourage but does not require transcripts to be sent from China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).
Transcripts evaluated by WES are not required.