Big Data for Nuclear Power Plants Workshop 2018
Big data technologies have experienced significant development in the past few years and have seen extensive application in power production, distribution and transmission. As the term itself indicates, big data refers to large volumes of data generated and made available for new knowledge discovery and corresponding theory development. An increasing number of nuclear utilities, vendors, government agencies and research organizations are realizing that big data analytics can provide significant improvements to economics, efficiency and safety of nuclear energy utilization.
The first workshop held in 2017 identified the significant potential that big data technologies offer for optimization of maintenance and component inventory in power plants. The purpose of the second workshop is to identify a broader array of roles and value of big data analytics in nuclear power systems. Emphasis will be placed on interdisciplinary applications that bridge the domains of nuclear science, materials behavior, manufacturing, sensors, instrumentation and control, diagnostics and prognostics, system reliability, information science, cyber and physical security, nuclear nonproliferation and safety. Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following:
- Big data analytics for operations, maintenance and life cycle of current fleet
- Big data analytics for nuclear safety, physical security and cybersecurity
- Regulatory implications of applications of big data analytics
- Big data driven fault diagnosis and prognosis for nuclear power systems
- Big data analytics for advanced reactors
- Data sharing and management in nuclear field
- Big data science including novel theoretical models, new computational models and data quality
- Big data architecture, programming models and environments, physical platform and software systems
- Big data instrumentation and control, data sampling and optimization, and sensor positioning
- Experiences with big data project deployments to nuclear power plants
- Using big data in advanced manufacturing of reactor components in nuclear systems
Agenda, registration and more information: https://bigdata.engineering.osu.edu/.