- Undergraduate Advising
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering Program
- Mechanical Engineering Program
- Transfer Credit
- Minors and Honors
- Forms and Handbooks
- Recognition, Honors, and Awards
Application to MECHENG Major
- Admission to major in Mechanical Engineering is by application only and is in accordance with the College of Engineering enrollment management plan approved by the University Council on Academic Affairs.
In order to apply to the major you must have:
- at least a Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR) (i.e. “eligibility” GPA) of 2.8. This includes EPHR courses taken at a previous institution.
- also completed or be in progress of completing the EPHR courses below.
- CHEM 1250 or 1215 (autumn 12 only), or 1210* and 1220
- PHYSICS 1250 and 1251
- ENGR 1181.0x and 1182.0x or 1281.0x and 1282.0x or 1186, 1187, and 1188
- MATH 1172 (1152) , 2173 (2153), or 1161.0x, 2162.0x
- STAT 3450
- MECHENG 2010 or 2010H
- ENGLISH 1110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
Effective Spring 2014: If an EPHR course is repeated, the most recent grade is taken.
*If you started your studies at Ohio State summer or autumn semester 2012 and took,CHEM 1210 autumn semester 2012 you do not have to take CHEM 1220 or CHEM 1250. If you take CHEM 1210 spring semester 2013 onwards, you must either take CHEM 1250 or 1220. No exceptions.
You can view your current EPHR by running a degree audit from Buckeyelink or by entering your grades into our EPHR Calculator.
*If you are a transfer student or have any post-secondary credit, please see an advisor for help calculating your EPHR.
Applications are due by the third Friday of the semester that you are applying.
Applications are only accepted Autumn and Spring semesters.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The admission cycle is held twice a year. The number of places awarded per cycle is based on several factors which include the strength of the applicant pool and department resources. Admission to the major is currently competitive and based on the Earned Point Hour Ratio (EPHR). The EPHR cutoff for the last program admission cycle was 3.2.
Decision Notification and Class Scheduling:
Students who have a completed EPHR of at least 3.4 will be automatically admitted to the Mechanical Engineering major. Major admission decisions will be sent to you via email after all final grades for EPHR courses have been posted at the end of the semester.
Important applicant information regarding 2850 and 2900:
Admitted students will not be able to add MECHENG 2850 and MECHENG 2900 until after the admit decision is made. Seats will be made available according to the priority and rank of an admitted student's registration window.
If you are concerned about being enrolled full time, we advise you to enroll in alternative classes until the admit-to-major decision is made.
Students denied admission may reapply one time.