- Academic Advisors
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering Program
- Mechanical Engineering Program
- Transfer Credit
- Minors, Honors & Combined Degree Program
- Rob Wolf Outstanding Senior Award
- Department Forms and Handbooks
Application to MECHENG Major
Admission to major in Mechanical Engineering is by application only and is in accordance with the College of Engineering enrollment management plan approved by the University Council on Academic Affairs.
In order to apply to the major you must have:
- at least a Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR) (i.e. “eligibility” GPA) of 2.8. This includes EPHR courses taken at a previous institution.
- also completed or be in progress of completing the EPHR courses below.
EPHR (formerly SPHR) Under Quarters:
- CHEM 121, 125 or 122 or 130
- PHYSICS 131 and 132
- ENGR 181.0x and 183.0x or 191.0x and 193.0x or 185, 186, and 187
- MATH 114 (spring 13 only), 151.0x, 152.0X , 153.0x or 154 (spring 13 only), or 161.0x, 162.0x
- MATH 254 or 263
- MECHENG 410 or H210
- ENGLISH 110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
EPHR Under Semesters:
- CHEM 1250 or 1215 (autumn 12 only), or 1210* and 1220
- PHYSICS 1250 and 1251
- ENGR 1181.0x and 1182.0x or 1281.0x and 1282.0x or 1186, 1187, and 1188
- MATH 1114 (summer and autumn 12 only), 1151, 1172 (1152) , 2173 (2153), or 1161.0x, 2162.0x
- MATH 1151, 1544 (C- or above), and 2173
- MECHENG 2010 or 2010H
- ENGLISH 1110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
Effective Spring 2014: If an EPHR course is repeated, the most recent grade is taken.
*If you started your studies at Ohio State summer or autumn semester 2012 and took,CHEM 1210 autumn semester 2012 you do not have to take CHEM 1220 or CHEM 1250. If you take CHEM 1210 spring semester 2013 onwards, you must either take CHEM 1250 or 1220. No exceptions.
You can view your current EPHR by running a degree audit from Buckeyelink or by entering your grades into our EPHR Calculator.
*If you are a transfer student or have any post-secondary credit, please see an advisor for help calculating your EPHR.
for Autumn 2015 the deadline is January 30, 2015 by 11:59pm.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The admission cycle is held twice a year. The number of places awarded per cycle is based on several factors which include the strength of the applicant pool and department resources. Admission to the major is currently competitive and based on the Earned Point Hour Ratio (EPHR). The EPHR cutoff for the last program admission cycle was 3.2.
Decision Notification and Class Scheduling:
Students who have a completed EPHR of at least 3.4 will be automatically admitted to the Mechanical Engineering major. Major admission decisions will be sent to you via email after all final grades for EPHR courses have been posted at the end of the semester.
Important applicant information regarding MECHENG 2020, 2030, 2850, and 2900:
There will be specific MECHENG 2020 and 2030 sections reserved for students who apply to the MECHENG major. Students will be informed of this via email before registration windows open. These sections are coordinated with the offerings of MECHENG 2850 and 2900. All students who have submitted an application must waitlist these designated section in order to be assured a place if admitted to the MECHENG program at the end of the semester. These seats will be released when all scheduling windows have been opened. Admitted students will not be able to add MECHENG 2850 and MECHENG 2900 until after the admit decision is made. Seats will be made available according to the priority and rank of an admitted student's registration window.
If you are concerned about being enrolled full time, we advise you to enroll in alternative classes until the admit-to-major decision is made.
Students denied admission may reapply one time.