- Mission, Objectives and Outcomes
- Undergraduate Advising
- Transfer Credit
- Forms and Handbooks
- MAE Survey (ENGR 1100.01)
- Internships and Co-ops
- Study Abroad
- MAE Undergraduate Tutoring
- Recognition, Honors, and Awards
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Capstone
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Minors and Honors
You are here
Career Opportunities for Aerospace Engineers
Aerospace Engineering Careers
Aeronautical & Astronautical engineers commonly design, develop, and test aircraft, spacecraft, and missiles. Aeronautical & Astronautical engineers also:
- Develop new technologies for use in aviation, defense systems, and space exploration.
- Often specialize in areas such as structural design, guidance, navigation and control, instrumentation and communication, or production methods.
- Those who work with aircraft are called aeronautical engineers, while those working specifically with spacecraft are astronautical engineers.
Although starting salaries tend to be similar, as they advance in their careers, Aeronautical & Astronautical engineers tend to be among the better paid engineering practitioners.
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015-2016 Occupational Outlook Handbook, Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineers enjoy a median salary 11% higher than Chemical Engineers and 29% higher than Mechanical Engineers.
- Starting salaries for Ohio State Aeronautical & Astronautical graduates averaged $65,983 in 2015-2016.
- Employers include: Boeing Co, Ford Motor Co, General Electric Corporation, the U.S. Air Force, and more.
Co-op and Internships
Ohio State Aeronautical & Astronautical engineers are encouraged to kick-start their career by intermixing one or more co-ops or internships with their normal course work.
- We recommend students register with Engineering Career Services (ECS) towards the end of their freshman year so they won’t miss out on great opportunities with top Aeronautical & Astronautical companies recruiting through Ohio State.
- The average co-op and internship wage for Ohio State Aeronautical & Astronautical engineers in Summer 2014-Spring 2015 was $16.03 an hour.
- Employers of co-ops and internships include: NASA, Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), Southwest Airlines, and more.