Application to the ME Major
Admission to major in Mechanical Engineering is by application only and is in accordance with the College of Engineering enrollment management plan approved by the University Council on Academic Affairs.
Effective Spring Semester 2013
In order to apply to the major you must have
- at least a Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR) (i.e. “eligibility” GPA) of 2.8
- also completed or be in progress of completing the EPHR courses below.
EPHR (formerly SPHR) Under Quarters:
- CHEM 121, 125 or 122 or 130
- PHYSICS 131 and 132
- ENGR 181.0x and 183.0x or 191.0x and 193.0x or 185, 186, and 187
- MATH 114 (spring 13 only), 151.0x, 152.0X , 153.0x or 154 (spring 13 only), or 161.0x, 162.0x
- MATH 254 or 263
- MECHENG 410 or H210
- ENGLISH 110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
EPHR Under Semesters:
- CHEM 1250 or 1215 (autumn 12 only), or 1210* and 1220
- PHYSICS 1250 and 1251
- ENGR 1181.0x and 1182.0x or 1281.0x and 1283.0x or 1186, 1187, and 1188
- MATH 1114 (summer and autumn 12 only), 1151, 1172 (1152) , 2173 (2153), or 1161.0x, 2162.0x
- MATH 1151, 1544 (C- or above), and 2173
- MECHENG 2010 or 2010H
- ENGLISH 1110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
*If you started your studies at OSU summer or autumn semester 2012 and took CHEM 1210 autumn semester 2012, you do not have to take CHEM 1220. If you take CHEM 1210 spring semester 2013 onwards, you must either take CHEM 1250 or 1220. No exceptions.
for Autumn Semester 2013 4:00 PM Friday, March 22nd, 2013
for Spring Semester 2014 4:00 PM Friday, October 18, 2013
Late applications will not be accepted.
The admission cycle is held twice a year. The number of places awarded per cycle is based on several factors which include the strength of the applicant pool and department resources. Admission to the major is currently competitive and based on the Earned Point Hour Ratio (EPHR).
The EPHR cutoff for the last program admission cycle was 3.05.
For Transfer Students
If you are a transfer student, your EPHR will be based only on the EPHR courses taken at OSU.
If any of the EPHR courses above are repeated, all grades are used to calculate your EPHR unless the grade is forgiven through the Freshman Forgiveness Rule (University Rule 3335-7-271)
Decision Notification and Class Scheduling
Major admission decisions will be sent to you via email after all final grades for EPHR courses have been posted at the end of the semester.
There will be specific ME 2020 and ME 2030 sections reserved for students admitted to the ME major. Students will be informed of this via email before registration windows open. All students who have submitted an application must waitlist these designated sections in order to be assured a place if admitted to the MechEng program at the end of the semester. When a final admit decision is made, seats will be released. Students who waitlist the designated MECHENG 2020 and MECHENG 2030 sections who are not admitted to the major will be permitted to remain in these classes only if there are seats available after all admitted students have been added.
Admitted students will not be able to add MECHENG 2850 and MECHENG 2900 until after the admit decision is made. Seats will be made available according to the opening of registration windows (priority and rank).
If you are concerned about being enrolled full time, we advise you to enroll in alternative classes until the admit-to-major decision is made.
Students denied admission may reapply one time.