Application to the AAE Major
Admission to the Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering major is by application only and is in accordance with the College of Engineering enrollment management plan approved by the University Council on Academic Affairs.
Effective Autumn Semester 2013
In order to apply to the major you must have
- at least a Cumulative Point Hour Ratio (CPHR) (i.e. overall GPA) of 2.0
- at least a Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR) (i.e. “eligibility” GPA) of 2.0
- also completed or be in progress of completing the EPHR courses below.
- CHEM 121
- PHYSICS 131 and 132
- ENGR 181.0x and 183.0x or 191.0x and 193.0x or 185, 186, and 187
- MATH 114 (spring 13 only), 151.0x, 152.0X , 153.0x or 154 (spring 13 only), or 161.0x, 162.0x
- MATH 254 or 263
- MECHENG 410 or H210
- ENGLISH 110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
- CHEM 1250 or 1215 (autumn 12 only), or 1210* and 1220
- PHYSICS 1250 and 1251
- ENGR 1181.0x and 1182.0x or 1281.0x and 1282.0x or 1186, 1187, and 1188
- MATH 1114 (summer and autumn 12 only), 1151, 1172 (1152) , 2173 (2153), or 1161.0x, 2162.0x
- MATH 1151, 1544 (summer and autumn 12 only C- or above), and 2173
- MECHENG 2040
- ENGLISH 1110.0x (C- or above). This grade is not part of your EPHR.
*If you started your studies at OSU summer or autumn semester 2012 and took CHEM 1210 autumn semester 2012, you do not have to take CHEM 1220. If you take CHEM 1210 spring semester 2013 onwards, you must either take CHEM 1250 or 1220. No exceptions.
Spring Semester 2014 4:00 PM Friday September 20th, 2013
Late applications will not be accepted.
The admission cycle is held once a year. The number of places awarded per cycle is based on several factors which include the strength of the applicant pool and department resources. Admission to the major is currently competitive and based on the Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR).
For Transfer Students
If you are a transfer student, applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants will be notified of a decision by Friday, October 4th.
Admitted Students and Provisionally Admitted Students
Students who have all EPHR courses completed and have an EPHR of at least 3.0 at the time of application will be automatically admitted to the AAE major. All other admitted students will receive a provisional admission pending the outcome of final EPHR grades. At the end of the semester, EPHRs will be re-evaluated, and a final decision will be made by the AAE Undergraduate Studies Committee (UGSC). Students will be informed of this decision via email.
Unless the grade for a repeated course is forgiven through the Freshman Forgiveness Rule (University Rule 3335-7-271), the most recent grade of any repeated EPHR course is used to calculate your EPHR.